SAM, short for Semi-Automated Mason, is a brick laying robot designed and engineered by Construction Robotics. SAM100 is the first commercially available bricklaying robot for onsite masonry construction. Construction Robotics is focused on advancing construction through the use of new technology and the same manufacturing principles used for decades in other industries. By leveraging new technology the company believes there can be significant improvements to the way the construction industry operates.
SAM can build walls six times faster than a human bricklayer and can lay around 3,000 bricks per day and is designed to work with humans.
SAM's benefits are:
- Designed to work collaboratively with the mason
- Consistent production and lower installed cost (50%+ labor savings)
- Increase masons productivity by 3-5x while reducing lifting by 80%+
- Lower health and safety impact on the workforce
- Improved ability to plan and quote jobs
- Production data helps with continuous improvements
SAM lays bricks using its combination of a conveyor belt, robotic arm, and concrete pump.
"We don't see construction sites being fully automated for decades, if not centuries," Operations Manager Zak Podkaminer said. "This is about collaboration between human workers and machines. What SAM does is to pick up the bricks, put mortar on them, and puts it on the wall. It still requires a mason to work alongside it. SAM's just there to do the heavy lifting."
Source and top image: Construction Robotics